A magical Meditation for Easter
The Original Easter Bunny is really an Easter Hare...
According to the Venerable Bede, the Festival of Easter takes it's name from the Anglo Saxon moon goddess Eostre, whose month was April. Subsequently she was deemed to be a goddess of the spring, the dawn, new beginnings, fertility and growth.
It is from Eostre that we get the words Oestrus and Oestrogen associated with the menstrual cycle and fertility, and hence why the symbol of the egg is always associated with Easter. It is said that Eostre's constant companion in the animal world was the Hare who was sacred to her. This elusive creature who was swift of foot, was often seen to gaze at the moon and was blessed with a high level of fertility. In some folklore it was thought that Eostre herself would sometimes take on the appearance of a Hare.
The mysterious Hare has been depicted many times in ancient and modern art, perhaps most famously by Albrect Durer,and it even appears on the reverse of the old Irish thre'penny bit.
An ancient motif of a a trio of circling hares is (above) which are linked by their ears, is found as far afield as ancient Egypt, China, India and most commonly in Britain, especially in old churches. Scholars report that this symbols creates a common link between Christian, Islam, Jewish, Buddhist and Pagan cultures. In modern times the legend lives on, though it now takes the form of the Easter Bunny who is the bringer of Easter Eggs.
In the following Guided Meditation I have used the idea of the magical Easter Hare as my starting point for an enchanted journey to help you realise your potential and deepest hearfelt dreams. I hope you enjoy it. Please let me know of your experience with the meditation as I always love to get your feedback.
Many Easter Blessings,
A Meditation for Easter by Valerie Chiltonsmith
The following process can be done as a 'read through' meditation with your eyes open.If you wish to close them to do more detailed inner work, you can just open them again (with 'soft' eyes') and carry on with the next part.
- Take a few slow deep in-breaths through you nose, intending to inhale nourishing life force, then exhale forcibly through your mouth, sending forth all stale or used energies which you are happy to now release. Notice if you are holding any tension in your shoulders, face or hands and relax them. Make sure your feet are in contact with the ground and your spine is supported.
- Imagine it's a warm Spring evening and you are in a beautiful brightly moonlit meadow. In the meadow stands a large ancient oak tree which has a seat around it's trunk. You make your way towards the tree through the long grass which is abundant with wild spring flowers, as you move through the field, a delightful fragrance from the meadow flowers fills the evening air. You reach the tree and sit underneath its protective branches, the full silver moon is low in the sky and looks very large, bright and majestic.
- As you gaze into the evening sky, your attention is caught by a cascade of shooting stars, as you focus on this magical phenomenon, you are amazed to see that a bright Silvery coloured Hare is bounding through the skies leaving a trail of sparkling stardust behind her. She weaves her way this way and that as if following a pathway in the sky. She's coming closer and closer and soon you can see her quite clearly. You watch in amazement as she bounds towards you and finally comes to halt right infront of you under the oak tree.
- This beautiful Silver Hare is a creature of myth and magic; her fur glows brightly in the moonlight. She gazes up at you with gentle loving eyes and you know instantly that she's a wise friend. The Silver Hare communicates to you telepathically, telling you that she's the messenger of Eoestra, goddess of the Spring and Eastertide. As a gift from the goddess, the Silver Hare is here to help you to birth and grow your ideas and dreams, and to bring them to fruition.
- The Hare asks you if there is something you have been nurturing in your heart which you would love to see grow into reality? Maybe this 'something' is so precious to you, you have hardly dared admit it to yourself, or maybe it seems so unlikely that you have hardly mentioned it to another soul, perhaps you have even dismissed your ideas as wishful thinking, believing they are too big or grand for you to have? Nevertheless, your heart longs for this dream, knowing that it's no idle dream but is part of the Divine Design of your life. It's been seeded into your heart by the Great Creator so that you can realise your Soul's potential, and even though you may disregard its importance, it just won't go away and keeps nagging at you to get your attention.
- You sense that the Hare can see into your heart and already knows your deepest wish, but she insists you admit it to yourself and to her also. So you tell her what your deepest dream and desire is, even though you might feel a bit silly admitting it.
- The magical Hare then wiggles her wonderful long ears emitting a great shimmer of stars into the air. These stars come swiftly together to form themselves into a dazzling Easter egg made of pure silvery light which floats down onto the ground infront of you. The Hare nudges the egg towards you and you realise she wants you to have it.
- You reach down and pick up the egg, and as you do so, it begins to pulsate, brighter and brighter. Suddenly in a flash of beautiful light you are magically transported into a new reality, one where your wish has already come true and you are living your dream life. The Silver Hare is there with you and she encourages you to take a look around you; to notice where you are, what you are wearing, who else is there, and to observe what's happening around you.
- The Hare has set the scene for you, now it's up to you to become the scriptwriter and director of your own new 'movie'. Use all your senses to embrace this new reality and claim it for your own. Notice how you look and what you're wearing. How do you feel? Get to know your new situation and the people in it. Notice how you are acting and being different - this can help you to know what you need to adjust in your current life to become a vibrational match to the you that you are in this new reality. This is your script so say what you want to say, hear what you want to hear, touch what you want to touch, choose what you'd love to taste or smell. Fully immerse yourself in this wonderful scenario. If you need any help or support, the Silver Hare is there to guide you and help you settle in to your new ideal Self.
- Take as much time as you need to really establish yourself in this alternate realm and know that the more real and believable you make it for yourself, the easier it will become for you to bring it into physical reality. In particular notice what sensations you feel in your body and what emotions you experience. This is what acts as the magnet to bring this new reality to you.
- When you are ready, just let the Silver Hare know you are happy to return to your own time and space.
- Follow the Silver Hare as she transports you through a magical portal.You instantly find yourself back in the beautiful meadow, at a little distance from the ancient oak tree. Some time has passed in this reality as now it is dawn; the sun is just cresting the horizon bathing the landscape in wonderful golden light. In the rays of this golden dawn, the fur of the Silver Hare turns to a dazzling Gold.
- On the ground beside this now Golden Hare, appears a little golden basket filled with lots of tiny rainbow coloured eggs of pure light. The Golden Hare explains that each tiny egg is infused with a special personal quality to help you bring your dream into reality. This Easter basket has been prepared especially for you and so what ever is perfect for you, is exactly what you will receive. The Hare urges you now to 'eat' the little eggs of light. As you pick up the first one you notice that the word Upliftment is written within the egg. As you pop it in your mouth it simply melts into nothing, but has a most delicious taste and fills you with a beautiful feeling of lightheartedness!
- Notice which quality each one bestows upon you as you eat them. Maybe it's courage, self confidence, boldness, clarity of thought, abundant creativity, infinite inspiration, confident decision making abilities, discernment, peace of mind, forgiveness or gentleness? You may be inspired to call upon particular qualities you need, as the thought springs into your mind, the next egg will contain it. Don't worry if you seem to have a long list, there is no shortage of these magical eggs.
- When you have 'eaten' all the eggs in the basket and gained all the qualities you need. The empty basket simply evaporates into thin air.
- The Golden Hare now seems to be jumping around with joy. She scampers round and round you and you realise she is spiralling into the air, creating a wonderful protective eggshell of light around you and your energy field to ensure your success. When she's done, she bids you farewell; in return you thank her with all your heart and say goodbye. She then bounds away, towards the rising sun.
- Now you're alone in the sweet smelling meadow, take a few moments to sit by the ancient Oak and bathe in the warmth of the sun's new rays. Reflect upon the wonderful Easter gifts the Hare has brought you and how much more positive you feel about your heartfelt dreams now, perhaps you have an idea of your next step to bring them into reality...
- When you're ready, Give thanks to the ancient Oak for its grounding and protective presence, as it's time to return to the here and now.
- Take a few deep breaths, become aware of your breathing, become aware of your body and your surroundings, wiggle your hands and toes, have a stretch and gently bring yourself back into the present.
Very well done.